NFL Player Kissed His Girlfriend, Daughter after Homicide

The Kansas City Star released a detailed  report on the final moments of the life of NFL player Jovan Belcher.  Belcher, who played for the Kansas City Chiefs, shot himself and his girlfriend after an argument this weekend.   According to the Star, Belcher kissed his girlfriend after shooting her and apologized.  He also kissed his three month old daughter and told his mother goodbye as he left the house.  She’d heard gunfire and came into the room after the fatal shots were fired.

It is being reported that Belcher shot his girlfriend over serious relationship and financial issues that had been consistent in their lives. Belcher’s mother had come from New York to help the couple work through some of their issues and heard her son say “You can’t talk to me like that,” right before the shots were fired.

After the shooting, Belcher left for Arrowhead Stadium, where the Chiefs play their games.  Police say that it was during his drive that they believe Belcher started to reflect on what he’d done.  Upon arriving to the stadium, Chiefs General Manager Scott Pioli saw Belcher step out of his Bentley with a gun to his head.

“I did it,” he said, according to police. “I killed her.”

The Chiefs say that they knew about Belcher’s relationship problems and were doing all they could to help.   That’s when Belcher thanked the GM for all they’d done for him and asked if he and another friend, Clark Hunt, would take care of his daughter.

Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel also showed up, as Belcher told them, “Guys, I have to do this.”

“I was trying to get him to understand that life is not over,” Crennel told The Star. “He still has a chance and let’s get this worked out.’’

As police sirens were heard off into the distance, that’s when Belcher admitted that it was time to kill himself.

“I got to go,” Belcher reportedly said. “I can’t be here.”

Police say that Belcher owned several legal guns in his home, one of which was used to kill his girlfriend.  They also believe that alcohol played a factor in the escalation of the argument.

Comments

comments

14 Responses to NFL Player Kissed His Girlfriend, Daughter after Homicide

1. Cessj December 5, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I think that John-John and Karen both have valid points to make. As John-John says, the actions of athletes are not representative of the black community. And I share with him the belief that we are all of us members of one race, the human race. However, like it or not, we are all defined by virtue of our perceived membership of one race or other, an for now, there is no getting over that…when a black person resorts to crime or violence, it will always be construed as an inherent property of our blackness. I understand Karen’s words about domestic violence. Domestic violence happens across all so called races, and is not peculiar to blacks, in the same way that violence per se is not endemic to us. That said, we cannot and must not shy away from acknowledging the harm that we do to our own community through resorting to senseless and mindless violence against our own. I happen to believe – and I may be wrong – that so much of the violence within our community stems from our particular situations of economic and political exclusion and marginalisation which leaves us feeling dis-empowered, and it impacts on our psychological well-being to the extent that the only way that we can express that frustration is by taking it out on the already vulnerable people around us. There is a problem of violence within the black community, but there is a problem of violence in American society in general. I think Karen, that there are many, many people who have been calling for us to deal with black-on-black violence, and there are many national initiatives that seek to find solutions to the challenge. So it is not the case that we are avoiding the issue…far from it. But the problem of domestic and other forms of violence within the black community cannot simply be the responsibility of the black community..given the structural nature of the problem, the solution requires much broader input from American society in general.

2. candidman December 5, 2012 at 4:28 pm

He told her that she couldn’t talk to him like that. I’m not saying she deserved this, but we as men have and always had a problem with our women disrespecting us. But when we speak up about it, all you’ll hear is that she can say what she wants, and even mess around on you, however you have no right to lay a hand on her. Although that may be true, there is still something wrong with that.

I always knew that using that as a deterrent instead of dealing with the root of the problem, direspect being one of them, would eventually lead to murder-suicides. I mean who couldn’t see this coming? It’s as though these things were planted in black male and female relationships.

• Nixak December 13, 2012 at 9:27 am

You may want to note my comment below for a response.

3. barbara December 5, 2012 at 4:35 pm

This is so sad and for the both to be at such young ages. I hope the family pulls through and support the baby with much love. I appreciate the articles for I noticed there was “little to no judgment”. I am really pleased with the mounds of solutions offered and that makes a world of difference. I always knew there were answers outside my door and many more. God bless each of you and have a wonderful life and a Merry Christmas.

4. Uchenna Uzoukwu December 5, 2012 at 5:18 pm

At some point we have got to consider what Karen Whittle is saying. We as a community need to address what is happenning with our community. That makes perfect sense. Athletes and movie stars do not represent anyone except themselves. Unless they are doing business or charity but by and large they are just people. They eat, breathe, sleep, have problems and die. Ms. Whittle is simply saying that out of this horrible tragedy maybe we as intelligent people should begin discussions that can positively change the direction of where our community is headed, with regards to violence/economics/behavior ….etc. Let’s not loose the bigger picture and stay on point with the sureal and deeper messege that this black woman has put forth. Fellas, she deserves more respect than what you have given her. Let’s start by apologizing to her and apreciating her point(s). Ms. Whittle I think you have started the discussion. Thank you

Uchenna

5. Sister Girl from the Boogie Down December 5, 2012 at 5:51 pm

It has been bothering me; so, I have to put it out there… Is the Mother of the Murderer the appropriate person to raise the victim’s child? Please don’t shoot the messenger, I can’t be the only one with feelings about the care and custody of this little angel. What is going on with the victim’s family?

6. Leroy Mayfield December 5, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I’m with Karen in terms of “attempting” to address the problem…and now. When it comes to Black people, the stereotypes are thought to be more credible, so what one Black person does unfortunately does affect us all in general. Everyone sounds very professional here, but I bet that may change at night; esp. if you happen to be in a parking lot following someone–even though you maybe going to get into your Bentley–that person nowadays Black or White, is going to be scared sh%$less of you simply because you are a Black male.

Programs like MSNBC’s “Lockup” doesn’t help any. It was said to be a brother that pushed that man on the subway track the other day in NYC–my hometown. Do you think that folks ain’t standing way back on the platforms now; esp. if they should happen to see a brother coming by?

The bottom line is t…hat the subject needs addressing, but esp. from a media coverage level. Listen to your local News tonight. All they’ll show for the first five minutes or so is violence and it is usually said to be perpetrated by a Black person. Many times they’ll give a blanket description of the subject like, he was said to be a tall, Black male with a hat on. Ok so they’ve just described half of the neighborhood; what did that accomplish? Invoking fear in people–esp. White people– about Black men.

John-John think you can catch a cab in NYC at night with no problem? What ’bout B’more? Yea right!

It’s been time for some kind of discussion, but optimistic Black folk keep thinkin’ that things are gettin’ better when they are actually gettin’ worse. Because now, we Black people are afraid of our own!

And why a’int White boys in the NFL runnin’ around wit’ Bentley’s?
    These generations of Blacks should be smarter than

7. Kirsten December 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm

His behavior sounds manic. It’s sad that he was so irrational that he believed killing anyone was the way to go. At least his daughter is an infant and won’t remember this drama but the downside to that is she won’t remember either of her parents.

8. georgejansen December 5, 2012 at 9:27 pm

BIG DUMMY!

9. Know the Truth December 5, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Sad.

10. s. douglas December 6, 2012 at 9:16 am

Waiting for the pink cave slore to jump out of the shadows..with DNA in her throat…

11. corbin56 December 6, 2012 at 9:37 pm

You know, you can argue back and forth all night long. The fact remains that a murder-suicide has occurred. More than likely it will happen again and again. Things like this happen. Big deal. Life goes on.

12. a. howlett December 7, 2012 at 1:06 am

There are a lot of great responses here and I agree with most of you. Here’s the problem. We can talk all day about programs, gun control etc., etc. but the fact of the matter is that no matter how we try to intervene, the mind is always going to be unpredictable. They said from what I read that alcohol may have played a role in this young man’s decision to commit such a heinous act and if that is the case than I wonder if he hadn’t thought about this before the day he did it. Everyone knows the effects alcohol and drugs have on our minds. After doing what he did, he had the presence of mind to kiss her and the baby, and tell his mom to take car of the child. He was in a frame of mind that he knew what he had done, he knew he was wrong and he was well aware of where he wanted to go after he did what he did. The point I’m trying to make is that there is no amount of training, classes, medicines, gun control or anything else that could have prevented this tragedy because in my mind this was premeditated and if that is the case nothing could have prevented this tragic incident.

13. Nixak December 12, 2012 at 3:57 am

This guy [Belcher] shot the mother of his baby, Kassandra Perkins, 9Xs w his own mother & baby present! It’s been claimed by one of his ‘friends’ that she was ‘mouthy’ & threatened to take the baby, blah, blah, blah. Maybe So – Maybe No, BUT- The only excuse for shooting someone is if they take a knife, gun or fire, etc & actually threatened to stab, shoot or burn either you, the baby &/or the grand-mother to death. Other than that- For a grown-ass 250 lb man to shoot an unarmed woman 9Xs- the mother of his child who he claimed to love, there’s simply NO Excuse- I don’t give a damn what she said!
    Although I’m definitely NOT advocating this- if Kassadra was actually verbally disrespecting Belcher, it would have been better had he slapped her across the mouth [at-least they'd both be alive today] -OR- Better still asked his mother to intervene while he walked it off, or called the cops to have her removed from his home. I can conceive of nothing she could have merely said that justified him gunning her down like a mad-dog in the street- especially in front his own mother & baby!
    PS: Some here may not agree but after what he did to Kassandra, Belcher’s life was effective over any-way [including his NFL career & most importantly- to his baby & mother], so he might as well have blown his brains-out!

Its obvious that the lame-stream [= white] media ain’t focusing on Kassandra like they did Nicole Brown because Kassandra’s Black & Nicole was white [PS: Though I'm no fan of OJ the Man {as opposed to OJ the football star}, I always felt that the jury made the 'legally' correct verdict by finding OJ 'Not Guilty'- because the late great Johnnie Cochran & his 'Dream-Team' associates completely dismantled the prosecution's case. BUT- Now I believe OJ was indeed Innocent of that double murder- Based on Bill Dear's investigation outlined in his 'The Over-Looked Suspect' & 'OJ's Guilty- BUT NOT of Murder'].