Yvette Carnell: The Evolution of Michael Eric Dyson…. Things Done Changed

by Yvette Carnell

Author Michael Eric Dyson spoke to a room filled with mostly women during the NAACP state convention on Saturday in Daytona Beach. Not surprisingly, Dyson catered to the mostly female crowd, saying black men should “follow our women into the voting booth.”

Encouraging men to get more politically active is one thing. Kudos for that, but I don’t think black men should be following anyone or anything. But that’s not the point, and Dyson wasn’t done. We all know why he came to Daytona.

Dyson continued, saying it was his job to do what President Obama couldn’t, and that’s get angry.

Then he began scat cattin’ and rhymin’, as only he can. Hey ery’body, it’s bee-bop time!

“He’s cool. Some of us have to be hot and angry. That’s where I come. I get hot so he can be cool,” said Dyson, as he began going in on those who dared to oppose “his president.”

“Don’t be mad he did it the way you said it ought to be done,” said Dyson.

I don’t even know what that means, but OK.

“We have been hoodwinked and bamboozled. You’re working to keep some people in and keeping some people out. You are mad that I am who I am. You’re mad a person of color occupies the highest office in the land. We’re trying to vote and you trying to throw us the okey doke,” said Dyson.

“We understand what you are doing. We know voter fraud is not the real issue. Same ID was good enough to put George Bush back in office but not good enough to put Barack Obama back in office,” he continued. “This ain’t going to stop us.”

Hoodwinked and Bamboozled notwithstanding. Gotcha.

I agree with most of that, but can anybody tell me, whatever happened to the dude in this video?

How did that dude become this dude?

Yvette Carnell is a former Capitol Hill and campaign staffer turned writer. She is currently an editor and contributor to Yourblackworld. You can reach Yvette via Twitter @YvetteDC or on Facebook.

Comments

comments

12 Responses to Yvette Carnell: The Evolution of Michael Eric Dyson…. Things Done Changed

1. Raheem September 27, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Yvette, from the video there is no doubt Dyson changed his opinion on Obama. But please don’t twist the topics, they’re totally different. At the convention, Dyson was talking about voter suppression.

On the video, he is talking about Obama selling out as a black man. You didn’t have to use voting as a subterfuge to attack Dyson, hell just attack him.

On another note, I see you’re doing Boyce’s dirty work because this is the first time ever reading anything negative about Dyson on his site. It was always nothing but praise by Boyce for Dyson on his sites. WHY?

Some of us are aware that Dyson came to the rescue for Boyce during the Bill O’Reily fight that almost got him fired from Syracuse U. We aslo remember Boyce writiing a piece saying Dyson is one of top 10 Black leaders that he respected and had an influence on his life.

Apparently they no longer have a good relationship because surely Boyce wouldn’t allow you to write a scanthing piece about his BOY on his site.

Like the coward that he is, he use you to do his dirty work because he is well aware that Dyson is the type of brother, unlike Sharpton, might get up in that ass. I keep saying, you Negroes need to quit. lol

• balampop1 September 28, 2012 at 12:36 pm

M.Dyson have seen OBAMA’S accomplishment over time and is giving credit where due.What’s so wrong with that troublemakers? OBAMA2012!!!!

• balampop1 September 28, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Good comment RAHEEM , these haters will not quit.

• KF September 28, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Kudos to your comment but it comes off as if this Kulturekritic website is turning into a circus and I may just stop reading this website because I can get comedy from youtube.

2. Rod September 27, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Over the past year or so I’ve lost a lot of respct for Dr. Dyson. I hate to say it, but it looks like the good rev must’ve recently gotten the Negro Sponsorship package thats given to black folks who are willing to keep their mouths shut on all points they would otherwise be critical of and spend all their camera time singing Obama’s praises. This package of course comes with 4 chicken dinners at the White House to selected events and a hosting gig at MSNBC. It’s a lucarative deal but in order to get the money and the spotlight you have to swear all allegiance to the president and sever all ties with Dr. West or Tavis Smiley. Clearly he has signed the deal. I honestly didn’t think Dr. Dyson would be a complete sell-out, but I’m seeing it with my own eyes.

• Tashira September 28, 2012 at 10:24 am

I agree… the two videos at the end really speak for themselves. Dyson’s a hustler…

3. Ish Muhammad September 28, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Dyson has Got the Sell out Deal He saying everything Political Obama would have said is it an echo up in here? I checked him when he talking about Gay Rights? Undercover Fagits have always been around anywhere Men are! It ain’t my thing if you Homo you know where to go! To hell with a Gas-o-line jumpsuit Fagit! If I was Dyson I would’nt want nobody to get the wrong idea about me lol Don’t drop nothing lol

4. DCB September 28, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I don’t understand when the author says she doesn’t understand Dr. Dyson’s comment ““Don’t be mad he did it the way you said it ought to be done,”; but let me explain it. What he’s saying is that the President played white america’s game, played it better and beat them at it when he won the election in 2008. They never expected him to know how to play their game, let alone beat them so handily that the day after the House of Rep republican leader states his main job going forward was to make Obama ” a one term president” and they have done everything in their power to stop him at all costs. They are even trying to turn us back to Jim Crow laws with all the voter suppression tactics they are using. People please take the time to learn and know your history, their tactics are nothing new and we have those in our own race that having fallen for the nonsense they spew of “divide and conquer”. One last thing, why are we disparaging each other, this goes right along with the “divide and conquer” tactic they want us to use to discredit one another. I’m just saying….

5. patrice September 28, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Thank you D C B!! You can see through the garbage of DIVIDE AND CONQUER, plus little green envy monster.

6. dorothy September 30, 2012 at 3:00 am

All of that garbage doesn’t change any bodies mind that has one. Dont listen to that garbage. They are trying to brain wash you. Don’t be their slave. Obama 2012

7. Ishmar Muhammad October 2, 2012 at 11:05 am

KF I hope you ain’t been touched too lol say it ain’t so

8. Tee January 16, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Jesus take the wheel! U gotta admit — points to Dyson for the Pharoah vs Moses commentary. And we gotta own that if Obama tried to mop up the post-slavery\white house mess during his first term, he would be the only black one term president to ever live in the house that our ancestors built w compensation. Give him a chance to be bold on his way out the door. Cmon, y’all know how we do. Gun Control first then reperations.