Yvette Carnell: Tavis Smiley Lists Excuses Black People Will Make if Obama Loses… But He Misses a Few
by Yvette Carnell
From the beginning, Tavis Smiley has gotten a lot of flack from the black community for holding President Obama’s feet to the fire. Smiley has said from the beginning that President Obama isn’t looking out for black people, and doesn’t have an agenda for poor people, who are disproportionately black and brown.
And in a new blog, Smiley is turning the corner, asking, ‘what if Obama loses?’ If that happens, black folk will make up all sorts of excuses which will, almost certainly, blame everyone except President Obama.
Here are Smiley’s top 10 excuses:
- They said Obama was winning!”
- “I didn’t get to the polls, but I did say a prayer for the brotha!”
- “You know they wasn’t gonna let no Black man have no two terms!”
- “See, what had happened was….”
- “I couldn’t get my outfit together!”
- “I must have caught that ‘Romnesia,’ is it 2012 already?”
- “They knew in the second term he was finally gonna hook US up!”
- “That damn Stacey Dash!”
- “They suppressed my vote!”
But Smiley neglected to mention the biggest excuse of them all: himself. I have no doubt that if Obama loses, black folk won’t blame President Obama, or his tepid approach at governance, but his most vocal black critics – Tavis Smiley, Cornel West, Boyce Watkins, and of course, yours truly.
It’s much easier to pretend that a few black writers and intellectuals have the power to sway the entire electorate than to admit what we’ve been saying all along was true: Obama spent too much time placating Tea Partiers and not nearly enough time catering to his own base.
Here are a few additional excuses black people will use if Obama loses.
- Obama didn’t want the job anymore. Who’d want to deal with all that racism day in and day out!
- White people used Obama to clean up their mess, then threw him away.
- Joe Biden!
- Obama miscalculated, threw the first debate with the rope-a-dope, but couldn’t come back quick enough.
- That Libya stuff was a set up!
Powered by Facebook Comments