by Yvette Carnell
Here are Smiley’s top 10 excuses:
- They said Obama was winning!”
- “I didn’t get to the polls, but I did say a prayer for the brotha!”
- “You know they wasn’t gonna let no Black man have no two terms!”
- “See, what had happened was….”
- “I couldn’t get my outfit together!”
- “I must have caught that ‘Romnesia,’ is it 2012 already?”
- “They knew in the second term he was finally gonna hook US up!”
- “That damn Stacey Dash!”
- “They suppressed my vote!”
But Smiley neglected to mention the biggest excuse of them all: himself. I have no doubt that if Obama loses, black folk won’t blame President Obama, or his tepid approach at governance, but his most vocal black critics – Tavis Smiley, Cornel West, Boyce Watkins, and of course, yours truly.
It’s much easier to pretend that a few black writers and intellectuals have the power to sway the entire electorate than to admit what we’ve been saying all along was true: Obama spent too much time placating Tea Partiers and not nearly enough time catering to his own base.
Here are a few additional excuses black people will use if Obama loses.
- Obama didn’t want the job anymore. Who’d want to deal with all that racism day in and day out!
- White people used Obama to clean up their mess, then threw him away.
- Joe Biden!
- Obama miscalculated, threw the first debate with the rope-a-dope, but couldn’t come back quick enough.
- That Libya stuff was a set up!