More Youth Have Died in Chicago Than in Afghanistan

KultureKritic.com Staff

According to CBS, President Obama’s home city of Chicago has turned into a war zone.   More youth have died in Chicago this year than Afghanistan (144 to 228).  The murder rate in Chicago is four times that of New York City and double that of Los Angeles, known for its gang activity.

Two teen boys were killed this weekend, aged 13 and 14.  They were among four homicides that took place this weekend alone.  There were 30 others wounded this weekend in various incidents throughout the city related to gun violence.   The murder rate in city of Chicago was already getting national headlines last year.  Since that time, it’s risen by another 35 percent.

A 14-year old boy, Antonio Davis, was murdered in a drive-by Friday at 9 pm.  A 13-year old boy, Tyquan Tyler, was killed after being shot in the chest at a party.   A 22-year old and a 29-year old were also killed. Two of the 30 who were wounded were shot while playing basketball.

Police say that they are going to be working overtime with the spike in violence.

“Just look at what’s been happening every single weekend,” Vice President of Chicago’s Fraternal Order of Police Daniel Gorman told The Daily. “Although we appreciate the overtime, we still can’t ignore that we’ve got a manpower crisis, and the recent violence in the city is proof of that crisis.”

Comments

comments

31 Responses to More Youth Have Died in Chicago Than in Afghanistan

1. Wow! June 26, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Yet Your Black World pushes for the release of a major Chicago drug king pin. Smh!

2. leh June 26, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I don’t see why Obama was even mentioned. He might have lived in Chicago, but this violence has nothing to do with him. These kids just have no hope for anything else and probably don’t even know that Obama is their president. Don’t go Fox News on us!

3. Davchi June 26, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Black on black killings in urban cities across America has been going on for years and one major city after another talleys the most murders each year. Young blacks don’t care about lliving much less about life and they kill each other over senseless BS. Is it ordained for young black men to eliminate each other to the chagrin of law enforcement, it appears so because they are lost so they exact the cost on each other, death. While billions are sent overseas and the prison complex here expands because that’s the way America priorities.

4. LUCILLE June 26, 2012 at 8:39 pm

When a Iived in Chicago awhile back, one of the local funeral homes was running a special or families burying young black males. I remember the funerals and caskets were going for $4,000. They also had driveby funerals where you could just drive by and see the corpse and move on, in order to keep the traffic moving. Yes, it is a shame, but what can you do when our young men continue to associate manhood with the power to take another person’s life?

5. Wallace Gator Bradley June 26, 2012 at 8:53 pm

It’s time that the Mayor meet with Wallace Gator Bradley and allow him to assist him and our city to help bring this madness down because he don’t have a clue or he knows what he is doing and don’t care. Tell the mayor to call 312-371-6914 or e-mail me lagatorb4peace@yahoo.com or lagatorb4peace@gmail.com

6. Mz June 26, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I hate when you write these articles because your ”guests” seem to believe just like you that everyone in this city is pathetic -similar to your irresponsible version of the story! There are great Black people in this city! Many are making a huge difference in our communities but you never seem to find the focus to write about that! Jesse and Farrakhan or Corey Brooks can no more do it alone than any of us, it takes a full community to be on board ! And for all of you special breeds: You are no more immuned where you are than us! I notice, Dr. Boyce, that when you write these articles you never seem to mention that our President is within feet of it all! You people seem to think that Chicago its such a large area to get lost in when the truth is that it is the most segregated city in the U.S. Which means where there are Black folks, there are more Black folks! We got promises from him in exchange for his vote. The ”hood” was important to him when he would walk door to door to be elected but he has forgotten. Incomes are mixed in our community no one can do it by themselves. Father Flaghar, Jesse, Obama, Farrakhan, Corey All from the hood and still in the hood. None of you Black folks are better than us!

• Junei June 27, 2012 at 6:48 pm

@MZ Sooo…..did that rant bring back all of those sons these mothers had to bury? You missed the boat here, they are not talking about Chicago the city, but the multitudes of caskets being sold to mothers at an alarming rate! I live in Oakland, CA and we too have one of the largest murder rates in the nation. I love my city to, but that doesn’t negate the fact that almost everyone I know including myself has lost an immediate family member to black on black crime. Out here it doesn’t stop with men, women and kids are fair game. Recently we had a 5 year old child shot in the head infront of his father in broad day light on a crowded street by a rival of the father. Just walked up called out the fathers name and put a bullet in the childs head and walked off. Politicians are just that, they get paid to say the right thing! We need to start with our own kids at a early age, black folks have been poor a hell of a long time, but we never killed our own until the 70′s. This problem stems from poor parenting. Stay focused!

• exphres June 29, 2012 at 9:46 am

“We need to start with our own kids at a early age, black folks have been poor a hell of a long time, but we never killed our own until the 70′s. This problem stems from poor parenting.”
        Amen and Amen! Blaming it on poverty is a cop-out! We have long faced adversity without turning on each other! In fact, it seems that adversity made us stronger in the days before we got to share restrooms and restaurant counters with white folks! No, the problem is a sick self-loathing that we have been systematically inflicted with! We have allowed ourselves to become all of the things that we were painted as for years! “Niggas and bitches!” “Thug Life!” These are not positives but we have wasted energy and lives trying to bend and twist it as such! We need to regain our dignity and reclaim our pride. We need to make good use of the freedoms that our parents, grandparents and great-grandparents gave their lives for! Yes, there are historical, factual precedents that have nudged us into the quandary that we face today and, yes, we need to acknowledge them and address them in order to correct our course. But we must realize and act on the realization that, ultimately, we our the ones who are responsible for our own redemption and resurrection! No one else!

• Jas Webster January 10, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I am a Chicago native born and raised in the Roseland Community. (west Pullman) The people of the commmunity is gonna have to get together and form a march from city hall downtown Chicago to the White house. And put pressure on this sitiuation because if no one say or form any type of movement nothing could be done. Its gonna take more than Jesse Jackson,Al sharpton,Louis Farrakan etc. The people of the communities for the Southside to the Eastside and Westside. I am willing to start this movement but the people who live inside these neighborhoods are the ones who will help to stop this systematic man slaughter. If any one wants to respond to me email me at CASHITAQUI@GMAIL.COM

7. LisaFordBlog.com June 26, 2012 at 9:16 pm

What is it going to take for our black youth to grow the hell up and stop killing each other?? This is 2012, and we still can’t beat that slave-mentality and just get over our past misfortunes. Where are the parents of these ‘gang members’? Who in the hell are raising all of these murderers? Don’t these young people understand that black folks use to get hung up around the neck for sport simply because of the color of their skin?
    I am so tired of the ignorance. Not just in Chicago, but all over the U.S. And we need to stop blaming the white man for everything. They ain’t never going to go out of their way to make life better for us. We need to accept that and govern ourselves accordingly.

8. LisaFordBlog June 26, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Why do our comments have to get moderated first on this site? Can’t we just speak freely to each other with the shadow? Just asking

9. Ran June 26, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I’m laughing at the poor excuses for human beings on here talking about how little value African American children have for their life and how stupid they are that they don’t even know who the POTUS is. It’s gonna be hard to get the problem under control if the people think like Leh and Davchi. Many of the children killed in Chicago were innocent victims of violence. How that innocence equates to them not caring about their lives is something I’m finding difficult to process. At the end of the day the violence will only be curtailed when the people stand up and demand an end. Yes, there are people in Chicago who are doing just that. But like hoods across the country the lawless minority are the ones who utilize their power while the law abiding majority of the same neighborhoods hand their power over in favor of fear and intimidation. We have to remember we are the same people who railed against slavery and the same people who stood up and defeated Jim Crow, all of that in the face of grave danger. We have to be that strong again or our children are not going to make it.

10. Mz June 26, 2012 at 9:31 pm

…As I’ve written so many times before to people like “leh” and all of you “what that have to do with the President? morons” President Obama owes it to his constituents to be fair and balanced! Funding should make it’s way to our communities as it does any others. The bank failures gutted our areas and it’s remnants are abandoned or condemned buildings. Our schools are failures-my own children were sent elsewhere for education. Everyone can’t do that. Everyone can’t afford to drive for fresh fruits and vegetables. Arab stores aren’t allowed in places such as Lincoln Park and Streeterville-those white folks aren’t having it! Those places are selling our kids cigarettes, drugs and guns-not all of them but enough of them. Funding they recieve allows them to do things in our communities that we can’t. Our children need a place to go. Pastor Brooks slept on the roof during Winter months to raise money asking everyone around the country to @ least give $1.00-all we ask is that Barack Obama give a damn! Again, Black people need to get it together. Many of us sit around and think because we have $5.00 over rent money that we have a right to turn up our noses. All of you are no better breed of Negro to other races. Where I live and where I work are night and day but do you think those white folks see anything other than I’m Black? That’s the same for all of you! Get off of your high horses. Our children need our help-drugs, homelessness, hunger are issues among our kids. There are no freakn “gangs” thats word play! Chicago street gangs have been long gone. These are just a bunch of individuals that do not believe they have a chance or may have never been given a chance and many unfortunately, do not! Crack babies from the 80′s, kids who were givin riddlin, others who have never been identified to any family that have now outgrown the system. Be careful of how you address the situation you never know what stands in store for your own children!!! All of you Sunday morning-give-a-damners need to get a clue. Black is Black no matter where you’re living.

• Blossom June 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm

There are some elements of the Black community that have to be mentioned (they exist in other communities too, but I’m talking about my community now).

So often I have seen intelligent Black people, smart Black children, honest, non-sexually involved young Black people RIDICULED for not sleeping around, for being “innocent’ as they are called as if that is a bad thing, taunted and bullied for living an honest life and for being active in engaging in activities that will lead to successful lives.

And very often I have seen that this attitude was professed, projected, and preached at home. It did not mean that the parents were on drugs or did not work (though that is the case sometimes) but sometimes the parents were middle class and had low-life mentalities;

they were very negative about everybody, cussed all day long for no reason, encouraged their kids to harm or bully other kids, or they bullied and put down their kids themselves, put so much fear in the children that the kids became very angry people.

I literally watched for months as one Black mother called her 5-yr old son a p**** IN FRONT OF EVERYONE day in and day out! she would scream at him for very little things, say he “wasn’t no boy,” he was “a little girl, a p****” day in and day out! This woman was not some ghetto chick, she was a working woman who was used to make a good living.

How about some of our people who love living the hood life? Again, there are many who make GREAT money, and don’t even live in the hood! Yet, they create a hood wherever they go, bringing drama where there is none, imagining offenses against them and creating negative issues from thin air, raising hell-raising kids.
      If you talk to one of them about their kids or their behavior, no matter how nice you are—OH MAN! you are in for a real fight.

I talk about this because I know a lot about this. I have been through this my entire life. I love my people and I won’t give up on them completely– though to be honest, I have a number of times. I have been praying for us for many years.

I do believe we shall overcome. I really do. It’s hard waiting for that time. it’s hard watching my people succumb to what I know is subliminal and institutionalized racism, as well as self-imposed ignorance and mental poverty. I know we have real challenges ahead. But I know we’re going to make it.

In the mean time, when we talk about Black people killing each other, while I know that the racist “powers” that be have sure ’nuff created this climate and do ALL they can to perpetuate it, we do– like hurt people– have to be at some point responsible for our own actions as well.

How about the parents who see their kids hurting others and shrug their shoulders and don’t do a dang thing about it? So many

And what about the parents who threaten their kids that they better not lose a fight or they will get whupped double at home?

I love my people, flaws and all. But truly, I have often often thrown my hands up in the air at the ignorant attitudes and ways.

• Mr.mike June 28, 2012 at 11:23 pm

The truth is they don’t give a damn about black life.this is all by design,when they demolished the projects they knew violence would increase,this just helps to keep the prisons filled with slave labor.

11. Renee June 26, 2012 at 10:06 pm

@MZ

Preeeeeaaaach! I was going to say something similar until I read your comment. You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. Very well said.

12. Loveyourself June 26, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Davchi, most young black children care about living. Not enough adults care about their lives. They are typically innocent victims. A relatively small group is terrorizing the masses.

13. anthony June 26, 2012 at 10:59 pm

im sadden :(

14. Kerri June 26, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Proper English would be nice. @ anthony…..”I’m sadden”???? It’s “saddened.” It’s means it is, not it owns. How did you people graduate from high school? Or did you? If you’re complaining about the poor job opportunities for black people, try learning in school. Try doing your homework. Try paying attention. If you can’t even fill out a job application with proper spelling, why would anyone WANT to hire you?

15. Nate June 27, 2012 at 12:40 am

Hi Kerri, you failed to place “It’s” in quotations, as I just did. So, your sentence, “It’s means it is” looks ridiculous. Your concern, though valid, is unworthy of the distraction from an issue that’s so serious. Before you correct someone, please ensure that ALL aspects of your writing are on point. This is about life & death, and you are more concerned about how someone writes. These contributions to the discussion will have flaws, as yours did. The writers could be from ANY COUNTRY ON EARTH even though their names don’t seem ethnic to you. I KNOW the person MEANT “saddened”, now let’s get back to the discussion, and worry about grammar later. P.S. my excessive capitalization was intentional.

16. Mz June 27, 2012 at 1:08 am

@ Kerri
    It’s a blog dumbass! Thanks for your irrelevant contribution. Now, spellcheck that.

17. Robert June 27, 2012 at 6:55 am

Well a lot has been said about what is going on in the streets of Chicago but nothing has been said about what should be done about. These young people aren’t invisable is anyone talking to them. Ask the police watching them to send someone to talk to them. Most of them probably have at the least one parent and that means they live somewhere. Our Black Leaders and politicians must take some action with a message of HOPE. Ask the drug dealer where they hang out they know because he sells to them and the police watch him in action. Where are the smart people in Chicago?

18. Sagarian June 27, 2012 at 7:55 am

I have a very simple and novel solution to this madness: “Why not just stop killing each other?”

19. Dean June 27, 2012 at 9:31 am

I don’t even live in the city of Chicago, but I’m very much aware of the crime that takes place. There’s crime every where, and until we as a people come together and stand up for something it’s going to keep happening. I Heard the police in Chicago don’t even come in some areas.

20. Mz June 27, 2012 at 11:37 am

@Robert
    Its always amazing how people who watch from television or their windows always seem to have an easy solution to the problems of others. Our ”Black leaders” are fighting cause after cause from state to state. If you think your suggestion would resolve the problems on city streets then why dont you bring your diplomatic behind here? President Obama’s home has been blocked off all around, of course but you come down for a visit and walk a few blocks over to get a whiff of whats going on. You ask ”where are the smart people in Chicago?” What makes you believe there arent any? You write like fool. Youre quite sure they have @ least one parent? I had no idea there were Black people on Mars- clearly you live on another planet!

21. makheru bradley June 28, 2012 at 12:43 am

I don’t see why Obama was even mentioned…this violence has nothing to do with him. – Leh

“We have a situation in this country where, over the first five years of the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, just under 5,000 Americans were killed through all kinds of methods, of all genders, races and so forth. Over that same five years, close to 27,000 black males were killed in this society by gunfire alone. That meant that the average black male had a better chance of surviving in the streets of Kabul or Baghdad than in the streets of their urban community.” –Harry Edwards, professor emeritus of sociology at the University of California, Berkeley

“I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality. There comes a time when silence becomes betrayal.” Dr. Martin L King

Various stories that I read said that 228 residents of Chicago had been killed (through June 18, 2012) versus 144 American soldiers in Afghanistan. The headline’s focus on youth alone appears to be misleading, but there is no doubt that many Afrikan American youth are being killed in Chicago and elsewhere for that matter.

What does the POTUS have to do with this? It’s a matter of priorities. He is supposed to be the president of all Americans. He considers the conflict in Afghanistan to be a “war of necessity.”

President Obama’s FY2013 budget allocates $64 billion for education versus $88 billion for wars. Priorities!

While Obama is talking about equal rights for homosexuals he should be reminded that public safety is a human right. Why is this not a priority?

Employment is a critical factor in reducing violence.

In the post-Civil War period and in the first third of the 20th century first the Irish, then the Italians had higher murder rates than Afrikan Americans. The violence of those groups was reduced by employment in the industrial sector. Geez, job creation, what a novel idea!

22. etreman June 28, 2012 at 9:46 am

Gimme a break! The white guy on the other side of town has nothing to do with us killing our own! We’re so oppressed, so down trodden,victims of racist commerce, Obama doesn’t help us, boo hoo,blah, blah. If you went out and voted for the congressmen he needed to pass legislation you would’ve seen a change. Everything he tries to do gets voted down by the legislative opposition that got ‘voted’ in. Excuses, excuses. That’s what needs to stop.We have choices! I read many of these comments and sadly many can’t even put 2 sentences together that are grammatically correct or spelled properly. Reading a book for a change isn’t corny.That’s what needs to be embedded into kids’ lives not rap music and sneakers! Get an education. It’s free!

23. makheru bradley June 28, 2012 at 11:53 pm

7-year-old girl, Heaven, shot dead in Chicago

[Banks said the soon-to-be second grader told her on several occasions she wanted her family to move out of the violent neighborhood. She said her daughter was a sweet, smart girl.

Heaven is the 20th person under the age of 17 to be killed by gunfire in Chicago this year, reported the Chicago Tribune.]

24. usef bey June 30, 2012 at 1:41 pm

@ leh…why was Obama even mentioned?…he sends troops to Afghanistan to fight terrorism but its right here in his backyard…none the less his home of constituency. This is his job to take action domestically but as soon as someone mention his name all the house negroes jump up to defend him. Yet even with a report as such you find ways to “idol worship” him….black folks are becoming more and more zombied out on Obama…its sad that he is the president of this US but its not his problem. Smh

25. Sickofitall July 3, 2012 at 12:03 pm

The people of Chicago simply don’t care enough. Billions have been poured into that city to “fight crime” and nothing has changed ever. I am sick of it all and tired of seeing same old story song and dance on the news, headlines, and internet almost every day. The people simply don’t take care of themselves and intentionally don’t care for others or this wouldn’t happen. This behavior covers ALL races; not just blacks. Deathin this manner is simply intolerable and our judicial system is a big reason to blame, our laws need to put people in to do serious time and conceal and carry laws need to be passed so individuals can help defend their neighborhoods, families need to also get extremely serious about watching and educating their children. Churches need to hit the street daily helping prevent this in positive ways and offering programs. There needs to be zero tolerance for this for at least two generations before you can expect any change.

26. Ray January 27, 2013 at 12:19 pm

This is a result of the function of poor black leadership. Black leaders moved away from business, journalism, education and clergy into Democratic Party politics and they advocated policies that keep the status quo in black communities that keep black Democrats elected. In return the party gives them expanded social programs that discourage responsibility. I don’t think black people endured slavery and Jim Crow so they could inhabit the role of “noble modern peasant” and have their leaders fight for food stamps, medicaid, section 8 and other give away programs. Black leaders in the Democratic party have created a world where black people buy what they want, and beg for what they need.